DREAM : DEVELOP : CREATE
WHAT THE HECK IS DESIGN - BUILD, AND WHY SHOULDN'T I JUST HIRE A GENERAL CONTRACTOR INSTEAD?
The Design - Build methodology establishes a collaborative dialogue between the client, design team and construction team from day 1 of your project! Our three month design process is structured to give the client the most accurate, coordinated cost and design information prior to a construction team raising a hammer in your house.
The traditional design - bid - build or general contractor build methods do not produce the same budget and design controls, making them less time efficient and have higher opportunity for costly surprises during construction of complex projects.
HD+B's goal is to help you make all of the hard decisions upfront, by giving you detailed information, in an effort to help you invest in you project in the most thoughtful way, and minimize surprises during construction. We will not be your lowest bid, but we will help you create the most customized project with the most cost effective process.
Our Team has 100+ years of combined architecture, interior design and construction expertise, assuring our clients that they are getting an incredible wealth of knowledge during each step of their project.
We can solve any design and construction problem, big or small!
STEP 1 : DREAM : YOU INTRODUCE US TO YOUR PROJECT
* We look forward to having an initial meeting with you to walk through the location of your project and discuss if HD+B is the right resource for you.
* If you are as excited about the design - build process as we are, we will provide an initial construction budget range and design fee in writing.
* The design fee payment is due to kick off your project.
STEP 2 : PRE-DESIGN PHASE
* The design team will begin a detailed dialogue with you about your project goals and budget.
* Both the design and construction teams will survey the existing conditions of your house and produce record drawings and notes, which are shared with the client.
STEP 3 : DEVELOP : SCHEMATIC DESIGN PHASE
* Using your feedback and our survey information, the design team will develop sketch options, and initial finish and fixture selections for your project. Our goal is to surprise and excite you about the beautiful project we will build together!
* The construction team will provide an early construction estimate, coordinated with the design schemes, and HD+B will also provide a realtor's assessment of your project based on the design options.
* You pick a design direction for us to refine!
THE DESIGN BUILD PROCESS
STEP 4 : DESIGN DEVELOPMENT & SELECTIONS PHASE
* The design team and client work together to refine the project design, described in drawn plans and elevations, a finish selection schedule, and professional rendering. We will meet to review progress and visit selection showrooms to create the most complete package of documents.
* The construction team will do any exploratory demolition to understand any complications that may arise in implementing the preferred design.
* HD+B will provide an updated detailed budget, along with the construction contract at the end of the Design Development documentation phase.
STEP 5 : CREATE : PERMIT PHASE
* The construction team will submit for your project permit after construction contract initiation and deposit are received.
* The design team and client will finalize any outstanding scope and an updated construction budget will be issued.
* The construction team and designer will hold a construction kick-off meeting with the client to make introductions and discuss logistics.
STEP 6 : CONSTRUCTION PHASE
* Construction of your project starts!